Let’s talk Workaway!
Our discussion takes place while volunteering at the WaGaLiGong Surf Hostel & Bar in Dulan, Taiwan. We were able to land this opportunity thanks to the website, Workaway.
Workaway is a platform to connect people (mostly travelers) with hosts. From their website, “It’s the world’s leading community for volunteering, working, and cultural exchange.”
This helps people explore an area for cheap. Accommodations and meals, which are often a traveler’s largest expenses, are provided in exchange for work.
Other benefits include:
- A unique way to understand a place and community.
- After hopping around a lot while traveling, it’s refreshing to stay in one area.
- Easily form friendships with other volunteers and travelers.
- Bonus perks. Example: Free use of surfboards :).
The range of work you can volunteer for varies extensively.
Common types of work (in Asia) include hospitality, farming, and teaching English. During the episode (37:30 to be exact), we highlight a few other unique opportunities.
Our discussion does get a bit random…Some of the topics we discuss include:
- Drug legality in different countries.
- What is Workaway? Why should you volunteer while traveling?
- Effective outreach messaging for Workaway and Couchsurfing.
- Dealing with fear through visualization while hitchhiking across Canada.
- Developing self-awareness.
Scroll down for links and show notes…
Thank you for listening and enjoy!
QUESTION OF THE EPISODE: Does volunteering or doing a Workaway experience while traveling sound like something you would do? If you have before, what did you do and what was your experience like?
Please leave your answer in the comments.
Want to hear more about working and volunteering abroad?
Want to hear another conversation about fear and self-awareness?
Show Notes and Links
Connect with Olaf – Facebook
Connect with Phillip – Facebook
- Audio excerpt from “My Next Guest Needs No Introduction” with David Letterman and Barack Obama. [3:45]
- Breaking biases and personal “bubbles.” [11:00]
- Drug legality in different countries. [19:45]
- Let’s talk Workaway! [26:30]
- Why should someone do a Workaway experience? [45:00]
- What does a good outreach message look like? [48:15]
- Personal template or link to “best practices”
- How does Couchsurfing work? [50:40]
- Karaoke’s popularity in Asia. [55:00]
- Strange cultural experiences. [58:15]
- Final words on Workaway. [1:01:45]
- Luxuries of backpacking and traveling solo. [1:05:00]
- A reading of, “There was a dead woman on my slow boat.” [1:09:00]
- Malaria pills and vaccinations. [1:14:15]
- Running into travelers from past locations. [1:18:45]
- Winter Olympics in South Korea. [1:20:15]
- Phillip’s hitchhiking stories and visualizing fears. [1:23:15]
- Being stalked by wild dogs in Manila / Why is fear a good thing? [1:43:00]
- Scroll down to see Phillip’s tattoo (Ouroboros)
- Developing self-awareness. [1:53:05]
Edge of Comfort
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below