“Traveling alone is something you just have to do…It’s such a good thing to do for your self-esteem and confidence. You will be a whole new person.”
– Isa Lindberg
Work and Travel in Australia
On this episode of the Edge of Comfort Podcast I talk with Isa Lindberg (@isalindberg) from Boden, Sweden.
Booking a flight to Australia on short-notice, Isa moved to Sydney during November 2016 to find work and travel.
Isa originally planned to only spend 6-months in Australia. Her plans changed along the way and she ended up working multiple jobs throughout Australia over the course of a year.
Throughout her year she explored places like:
- Indonesian islands
- The Australian Outback
- The Great Barrier Reef
- Other major Australian cities
She also found a dead kangaroo in an unlikely place while working on a sheep farm.
Some of the things we discuss include:
- Methods to find work abroad
- The appeal of working in Australia
- Finding a balance between saving and spending
- Work to pursue and avoid in Australia
- Safety for female travelers
- Extreme nature
And so much more.
Scroll down for links and show notes.
Thank you for listening and enjoy!
QUESTION OF THE EPISODE: Have you ever worked abroad to fund your travels? If yes, what type of work did you do? If no, would you consider working somewhere outside of your home country?
Please leave your answer in the comments.
Want to hear another conversation about working abroad?
- Listen to my interview with Ryoji Yoshimura; a veteran couchsurfer who worked for four months to fund his gap year.
- Listen to my interview with Jason Patrick Irish; a professional backpacker who has funded backpacking to 119 countries (and counting) by teaching English in South Korea.
Show Notes and Links
- One year in Australia. [4:00]
- The difference between traveling and working somewhere. [8:00]
- Initial challenges of working abroad. [11:20]
- Resources to find work in Australia. [12:40]
- Work visas and insurance. [17:00]
- Australian work to avoid and seek. [20:20]
- Why do so many travelers go to Australia to work? [26:25]
- Working near the outback. [27:40]
- Hunting kangaroos. [32:00]
- Extreme nature in Australia. [34:00]
- Finding a balance between saving and spending money. [39:00]
- Scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef and Gili Islands. [42:20]
- How to pack for long travels. [48:35]
- Safety for solo female travelers. [54:30]
- Difficulties of traveling alone. [1:04:50]
- Money tips. [1:10:30]
- Other “must have” apps. [1:14:45]
- Not waiting for a “perfect time” to do what you want. [1:16:25]
Edge of Comfort
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below